Tosca Says...

"It is the food that we eat which is responsible for shaping such a vast array of body types. Yes, the food!" - Tosca Reno, Author of The Eat Clean Diet

Friday, August 10, 2012

Recipe: Clean Eating Rhubarb Lime Ice Pops

I. LOVE. Ice Pops. (I could say I love "Popsicles" but, technically, that's a name brand, so I'm going to stay generic and go with ice pops.) 

They really are a weakness for me (and not just in the summer.) So when I started eating clean, I had a hard time figuring how I was going to get through my impending withdrawal. Needless to say, it's been a rough 13 months. (And, yes, I cheated. Several times. A month. Don't judge.)


Recently, (because my kids take after their mom and eat ice pops just about every day of the year) I bought these: 


My goal was to be able to make healthy clean versions of our favorites. Usually, I fill them with the leftovers from my morning smoothie or with organic juices (with water added). I got them from Amazon (click here to get your own set) and I love them! I highly recommend them (and I highly recommend two boxes at least!)


Well, a few days ago, as I was sauntering through Whole Foods, I came across this glorious sight:


I tried not to get too excited. I've learned that just because I am standing in a Whole Foods doesn't automatically translate to "everything you see here is clean." 

I start reading the flavors, my eye immediately going to two of my favorite things in the world: rhubarb and limes. I opened the freezer door (mouth watering, mind you) and braced myself for the impending disappointment.

All Natural. No artificial ingredients. And, to quote them, "NO JUNK." 

Now, again, I've learned that the phrases "All Natural," and "No artificial ingredients," can be deceiving. So, I read the ingredients. They were all good! Score!

To make things even better, they are made in Wilmington, NC, which I consider "local" since I live two hours away. So, score again!

I brought them home (the Rhubarb Lime ones, of course), even at the outrageous price of $5.99 for 4 pops. It took some serious will power to not eat one in the car on the ride home. 

When I finally got home to indulge, they were, as expected, heavenly. Totally worth the wait. Just one big problem: what was I going to cut out of my regular grocery budget so I could buy a box of these every week. Cuz I was totally addicted after one pop. I think I need a support group.

Two days after falling in love with my Luna Pop, I was craving more rhubarb lime ice pops. But the thought of a 20-minute drive to pay $6.00 for four of them made my head hurt. So I got to wondering. Could I make them myself? 

I did. And, I gotta admit. They. Are. Awesome. So here's he recipe. Enjoy!

Rhubarb Lime Ice Pops

1.5 C. Rhubarb*, chopped
4 Limes (zest, juice, and pulp)
1/2 C. Agave Nectar
1/4 C. Evaporated Cane Juice (Add a smidgen more if you like a sweeter pop.)
2 C. Water

* I used Stahlbush Island Farms 10 ounce pkg, frozen.

Chill a metal bowl in the freezer. Heat all ingredients over medium heat until rhubarb is soft and sugar is dissolved. Pour through a fine strainer into the chilled bowl, making sure to squeeze out as much liquid as possible.

Chill in refrigerator 30 minutes, or until cool. (I stirred it a few times to expedite the cooling. I wanted my pops!)

At this point, you can sneak a taste to check sweetness. If too tart for your liking, add a tablespoon or two more sugar or agave. 

Pour chilled mixture into molds using a funnel. I put them in a tall metal container and they freeze perfectly (although you can lay the Norpro molds on their side. The tops are amazing and hold quite well as long as you don't overfill the mold.)

Overnight freezing is recommended, but if you're like me and can't wait for tomorrow, 3-4 hours should do the trick.

I got 7 pops with this recipe. I would have had 8, but I used the extra to make me and my son a nice refreshing summer beverage. (I just couldn't wait for the frozen version!) 

YUM!


If you've made these, tell me about it! I'd love to hear how you liked them (or, even if you didn't like them).




Recipe, content, and images, Copyright 2012, Clean Eating for the Food Lover.







No comments:

Post a Comment